Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Snow Daze

I am quickly coming to terms with the fact that, outside of a surprise trip to Florida from The Partner (one can hope), I probably won't see green grass again until May.

Truth be told, there is a certain beauty to the white landscape. And this isn't my first Maine winter, so its not like I'm not used to snow.

But when I lived in Portland, there was small chance of a January thaw, even if only for a day or so. Here, there's a better chance of Joe Lieberman voting with Democrats than there is a mid-winter thaw.

Don't know where I'm going with this. I was just trying to look through the ice encased windows at the blowing snow, and got the realization.

So you know what that means - when I don't know what else to write, I throw it back to you. How do you know its winter where you are?

6 comments:

froggy said...

Today all the schools are closed due to an ice storm. The Engineer waited three hours to try and go out to work, crossing fingers.

As a kid in northern Canada I remember the three months in the steep mountains where the sunlight would not touch the townsite.

Usually, here in SE WA, our winters have one ice storm to provide drama, one week of snow for the kids and the rest of the time it is a freezing fog.

Al In The County said...

Froggy - I grew up in Western Washington. We would get one or two "snow storms" each year, which meant that there was snow on the roads instead of just on lawns. It was so very exciting. I'm still excited about snow because of that, even though I see it now for 5 months of the year.

Kate said...

I'm the woman with a four year old in her heart, who races to the window the minute the snowflakes start falling because it's so, so magical. Even after 36 years. Sigh. I love it. And I love it when I have to fight the cold and the wind and the ice. Because I WILL WIN!

Buck said...

Here in Chicago, the pigeons hog all the space under the heat lamps on the EL platforms.

When that happens, Winter has arrived.

Al In The County said...

Kate - I'm the same way. :)

Buck - Ah, tradition...

Wendy said...

Ugh, I'm with you. We've had snow on our lawn since October. I really like living in Denver, but the transition from Hawaii feels a bit stark this time of year.